Jewelry, Gems, & Minerals/lost pearl

Hi Thomas,

A family member brought me a pearl and marcasite ring for my 21st birthday. It is very old looking, we think around 1930's.However I lost the pearl(it was in the centre)the same day and despite spending hours crawling around, I cannot find it. I was wondering where on earth I could go to have it repaired and how much it would cost. I didn't buy it from a jewellers but an antique store and there weren't any other rings like it there. Is it even possible to fix this or do I have to own up and say I have already lost it - I've had it less than a week.  

Many Thanks

Dear Rachel,

No need to be overly distraught in this situation because the replacement of the pearl should be easy.

Most any jewelry store with a repair/service department should be able to replace the pearl. If the pearl had any particular color shade such as silvery or white, let the jeweler know. The pearl will be taken from stock or ordered from a vendor and then set into the marcasite ring.  An estimate should be given you of the total cost for pearl and labor.

Do not blame yourself for the pearl loss.  I suspect the setting was not secure or was loose from age. Rachel, again, the replacement should go with ease.

God Bless and Peace.  Thomas.

Jewelry, Gems, & Minerals

Have a question about jewelry repair or working with precious metal jewelry and gemstones? For many years up to December 31, 2010, I was a working professional bench jeweler, involved everyday with setting stones in mountings, designing and making jewelry, repairing and limited custom manufacture. If you work with jewelry as a hobby or as a profession, I might be able to help. I deal with the retail business, not mass production. Ask privately if you wish. See the box for that: It keeps your question between us. Please DO NOT ask MAKER'S MARKS, but metal quality marks are fine to ask. Please DO NOT ask diamond prices. See a gemologist for that.

I have extensive experience in design, service and making of jewelry. I deal mostly with precious metals and gemstones but work with many materials as needed and usable to create an artistic design. My experience also includes freelance photography and photographer of jewelry and similar items for a former employer and individuals. Design of custom items requires reading the desires of the client and being clear on what can be done within that framework...then fulfilling the transition of idea to reality. Effective communications is essential in a working designer/producer and customer relationship.

Education is English/Physics! Started in human resources, to advertising, to, what a road. I have had formal training in jewelry work and many shared experiences with top grade jewelers. We just never know were we will go or be. Follow your best, your dreams, with some discretion! Don't let the work tear up your body along the way as it has mine.