Jewelry, Gems, & Minerals/markings for gold 14/20r

I too purchased a string of real pearls at a shop.  The clasp is well made and is marked "14/20r".  I looked up 14/20r and was referred to cords and electrical stuff.  when I looked up 14/20 I read your answer.  I wondered if it might mean 14k over copper?  Apparently this is not an uncommon marking?

Hello, Irma.  This mark does not really match those listed as "not confusing" in the National Gold and Silver Marking Act, the regulation guidelines for jewelry marks in the USA.

The closest it might be is an odd duck form of gold filled marking. Gold filled is generally marked with karat and how much by weight is 14k gold (the surface layer). Gold filled is thicker generally than gold plated but is not solid karat gold. A mark might be 1/20 14k gf, likely the same gold content is in your 14/20 clasp. This is a durable form of gold overlay.

Best wishes and enjoy the pearls.   God Bless.  Thomas.

Jewelry, Gems, & Minerals

Have a question about jewelry repair or working with precious metal jewelry and gemstones? For many years up to December 31, 2010, I was a working professional bench jeweler, involved everyday with setting stones in mountings, designing and making jewelry, repairing and limited custom manufacture. If you work with jewelry as a hobby or as a profession, I might be able to help. I deal with the retail business, not mass production. Ask privately if you wish. See the box for that: It keeps your question between us. Please DO NOT ask MAKER'S MARKS, but metal quality marks are fine to ask. Please DO NOT ask diamond prices. See a gemologist for that.

I have extensive experience in design, service and making of jewelry. I deal mostly with precious metals and gemstones but work with many materials as needed and usable to create an artistic design. My experience also includes freelance photography and photographer of jewelry and similar items for a former employer and individuals. Design of custom items requires reading the desires of the client and being clear on what can be done within that framework...then fulfilling the transition of idea to reality. Effective communications is essential in a working designer/producer and customer relationship.

Education is English/Physics! Started in human resources, to advertising, to, what a road. I have had formal training in jewelry work and many shared experiences with top grade jewelers. We just never know were we will go or be. Follow your best, your dreams, with some discretion! Don't let the work tear up your body along the way as it has mine.