Jewelry, Gems, & Minerals/is my ring gold ?

hi i hav a ring and it looks like it has a number 2 in a circle and looks like a bird stamp is this ring gold ?

This question is best referred to a jeweler. However, if the ring contains no stones, you could do a simple specific gravity test. It is best to use a hanging scale measuring small weights in grams (postal scale). Attach the ring to a string and hang string from scale to weigh the ring in grams. This is your WA (weight in air.) Get a glass of water. Suspend the ring from the scale with the string and submerse ring into water. Make sure the ring is freely in the water not touching sides or bottom and not sticking out into the air. Record this weight as WW (weight in water, again in grams). Calculate the specific gravity of the ring by WA / (WA-WW) (Dividing the difference of weight in water to weight in air into the weight in air). Gold has a very high specific gravity. If the ring is pure gold you should get a value of around 19 g/cm3. However jewelry is rarely pure gold. So your value should range somewhere between 14 g/cm3 (low gold content) to 18 g/cm3 high gold content. There are hardly any other materials that have as high of a specific gravity as gold. This is why this test works so well.  

Jewelry, Gems, & Minerals

Uwe Richard Kackstaetter, Ph.D. (Dr.K)

I can answer questions concerning minerals, mineralogy, gems, metals, and anything that has to do with geology. However, I am NOT a jeweler. Questions about values, settings, gem stone cuts and appraisals are best directed to other experts on this site. I can however aide in the identification of unknown mineral materials. As a public service and part as training for new geoscientists, our university department provides FREE mineral identification for individuals. Please contact me for details or go to for details..

I am a professor of applied geology and mineralogy with many hours of field experience. Furthermore, I enjoy recreational gold prospecting and mineral collecting. As a professor I am engaged in research concerning minerals and their occurrence.

Member of the GPAA (Gold Prospectors Association of America) as well as the Association of Environmental Geochemists. Member of the GSA (Geologic Society of America) Member of the AIPG (American Institute of Professional Geologists)

Here is a small sampling: Mineral-rock handbook: Rapid-easy mineral-rock determination : written for anyone interested in minerals and rocks - Proctor, Peterson, and Kackstaetter;Macmillan Pub. Co. (New York and Toronto and New York) Physical Geology Laboratory e-Manual [CD-ROM], Kackstaetter, Earth Science Education LLC Colorado Front Range Self-guided Geology Field Trips, Kackstaetter,

Ph.D. in Applied Geology and Mineralogy. I am actively teaching courses in mineralogy and a variety of field courses with mineral collecting opportunities. Background in precious metal exploration.