Jewelry, Gems, & Minerals/rocks in home display

Question
I do not know if you can help but i have completely exhausted the internet with NO luck...
I have been given a beautiful sample of an amethyst geode that I want to display in my home, but it does not have a flat side for standing. I have seen many photos of these large pieces where a material has been molded around the stone to form a flat bottom. I do NOT wish to place this piece on a stand, but prefer to learn how dealers mold this flat surface and with what material.
THANK YOU!

Answer
We sometimes run into a similar problem for our display of specimens here at the university. Our solution is to use play-dough to mold just enough around the specimen to prop it up in the correct position. Play-dough can be easily removed and residue can be washed from the specimen if research or testing is required. You can find / mix play-dough in a similar color to the specimen so it does not show. A more permanent solution is to use polymer clay, available in craft stores, which will harden or cure at temperatures created in a typical home oven(265 to 275 橮 You can either sculpt it around your specimen and then bake it in your oven, which would include heating your specimen as well. Usually not a problem for silicate minerals, careless heat shock upon removal may break delicate specimens. A better method would be to mold the clay as desired, then carefully remove from specimen without changing its shape and firing/curing separately. Hardened polymer clays can be painted to match your specimen color.  

Jewelry, Gems, & Minerals

Uwe Richard Kackstaetter, Ph.D. (Dr.K)