Jewelry, Gems, & Minerals/gold question

Question
necklace pic
necklace pic  
hey there,my gold necklace has a silver piece where it clips together that says 925 2/25 14k. but the necklace is suppose to be 14k gold, at the little store i got it at, the seller said its gold but the clasp is silver, the gold of the necklace doesnt say 14k anywhere, only the silver piece does. the only marking on the gold of it is the makers mark. does this sound like a gold platted necklace or just a few pieces being plated? im confused, i sent a pic too, please help thanks

Answer
Joe,

Unfortunately I cannot read the markings from the photo. However, it does appear quite unusual to have this marking on that part next to the clasp and no quality mark on the necklace. Do you see the ends on the necklace? These are the folded over metal which is soldered to the end link. These are called chain "tags" or "ends".  Generally the markings for the necklace are on one of the end pieces.  A clasp may always be changed rather easily and the markings on the clasp may have no relationship to the metal quality of the chain itself.  The marking on the clasp attachment would be consistent with regulations requiring an item of two metals to have both metals indicated, including silver(925) and gold (14k).

If the attachment next to the clasp has simple fold or rolled over ends going to the clasp and to the chain, this is a sort or item used in lower end jewelry. Generally, for a gold necklace, there would NOT be a silver clasp and any attachment such as shown would be soldered closed. I get the impression this was fitted later and is not original for the necklace.

My recommendation is to go back to the store and ask that they can insure you that the necklace itself is indeed 14k gold and not a plate or gold filled item.

Joe, I do hope that helps.  God Bless and Peace for the new year.  Thomas.  

Jewelry, Gems, & Minerals

Thomas