Jewelry, Gems, & Minerals/Mineral

Odd rock 1
Odd rock 1  

Odd rock 2
Odd rock 2  
Can you tell me what this might be?  I found this one night out off a highway after hitting a deer and wrecking my car. I had to climb up a sand  hill to get cell service to call a tow truck.
I used the flashlight on my iPhone to look around.
You cannot see by my picture but there is a very sparkly vein that runs through this.
Any help would be appreciated.

These look like river transported pebbles hence their roundness and could have come originally from anywhere upstream. The river might be long gone and these are pieces of prehistoric sediments. While hard to tell from the picture, the bigger rock with the "sparkly" vein might be limestone with some calcite crystals. Put some strong vinegar or better yet muratic acid tile cleaner on it and see if any part of your rock effervesces (fizzes). A sure indication of calcite and limestone. The other pebbles are most likely chert, a variety of common quartz. Hope this helps.
If you really want to know, our university offers free mineral identification as part of our community outreach. Please see for details.  

Jewelry, Gems, & Minerals

Uwe Richard Kackstaetter, Ph.D. (Dr.K)

I can answer questions concerning minerals, mineralogy, gems, metals, and anything that has to do with geology. However, I am NOT a jeweler. Questions about values, settings, gem stone cuts and appraisals are best directed to other experts on this site. I can however aide in the identification of unknown mineral materials. As a public service and part as training for new geoscientists, our university department provides FREE mineral identification for individuals. Please contact me for details or go to for details..

I am a professor of applied geology and mineralogy with many hours of field experience. Furthermore, I enjoy recreational gold prospecting and mineral collecting. As a professor I am engaged in research concerning minerals and their occurrence.

Member of the GPAA (Gold Prospectors Association of America) as well as the Association of Environmental Geochemists. Member of the GSA (Geologic Society of America) Member of the AIPG (American Institute of Professional Geologists)

Here is a small sampling: Mineral-rock handbook: Rapid-easy mineral-rock determination : written for anyone interested in minerals and rocks - Proctor, Peterson, and Kackstaetter;Macmillan Pub. Co. (New York and Toronto and New York) Physical Geology Laboratory e-Manual [CD-ROM], Kackstaetter, Earth Science Education LLC Colorado Front Range Self-guided Geology Field Trips, Kackstaetter,

Ph.D. in Applied Geology and Mineralogy. I am actively teaching courses in mineralogy and a variety of field courses with mineral collecting opportunities. Background in precious metal exploration.