Jewelry, Gems, & Minerals/replacing marcasite stones in a bracelet

Question
Marcasite bracelet
Marcasite bracelet  
My boyfriend gave me a bracelet a year and a half ago for my birthday. It has very very small marcasite stones in it. I've been wearing the bracelet every day since then and it seems to be losing stones. So far I've lost 5 but was able to hold on to one which is taped to the piece of paper in the photo. The stones don't seem to be set with prongs or anything so I don't know how they are affixed. Is there any hope of repairing or replacement?

Answer
Dear Monica,

First of all, thank you for the good photo.

Most jewelers with a service or repair department have access to marcasite stones.  They may not have the exact size in stock but it can be ordered. Keep in mind, the jeweler will have to order a minimum quantity of marcasites, such a 10 or even 25 to the package. You could purchase the package and have stones on hand  or just the lost ones replaced.

Marcasites are often lost during cleaning and everyday wear. The prongs are sometimes uses to hold the gems with light pressure so the stone is not chipped or the stone is cemented into place. A replacement will likely be cemented in place and that is a secure method when done properly. (Epoxy cement is far superior to super glue for this work.)

The simple answer is YES, most any jewelers with a repair department should be able to replace the lost marcasites. They should give you an estimate prior to doing the work. If by chance they happen to have the right size in stock, the replacement may cost less than if the stones must be ordered.

There you go...thanks for asking.  

God Bless and Peace.  Thomas.  

Jewelry, Gems, & Minerals

Thomas