Jewelry, Gems, & Minerals/silver with gold

Hello. I wear a gold wedding ring and I like to wear a silver ring along with it (on the same finger), however, I was told that this combination might cause a reaction ruining my wedding ring. I would like to know if this is actually true??

Dear Sahar,

The different hardness of the metals may allow one ring to wear slightly quicker than the other at the side where the rings meet.  This should not be significant. You may notice a little gold on the silver ring when the gold is a quite high karat or you may notice a little silver color rubbed onto the gold ring.  None of this is a concern.

There is no reaction created from wearing the rings together.

Jewelry artists have joined the two metals in fanciful and lovely designs, using the different colors as a treat to the eyes. There is no problem with using the metals together.

God Bless and Peace.   I truly do wish you peace.  Thomas.  

Jewelry, Gems, & Minerals

Have a question about jewelry repair or working with precious metal jewelry and gemstones? For many years up to December 31, 2010, I was a working professional bench jeweler, involved everyday with setting stones in mountings, designing and making jewelry, repairing and limited custom manufacture. If you work with jewelry as a hobby or as a profession, I might be able to help. I deal with the retail business, not mass production. Ask privately if you wish. See the box for that: It keeps your question between us. Please DO NOT ask MAKER'S MARKS, but metal quality marks are fine to ask. Please DO NOT ask diamond prices. See a gemologist for that.

I have extensive experience in design, service and making of jewelry. I deal mostly with precious metals and gemstones but work with many materials as needed and usable to create an artistic design. My experience also includes freelance photography and photographer of jewelry and similar items for a former employer and individuals. Design of custom items requires reading the desires of the client and being clear on what can be done within that framework...then fulfilling the transition of idea to reality. Effective communications is essential in a working designer/producer and customer relationship.

Education is English/Physics! Started in human resources, to advertising, to, what a road. I have had formal training in jewelry work and many shared experiences with top grade jewelers. We just never know were we will go or be. Follow your best, your dreams, with some discretion! Don't let the work tear up your body along the way as it has mine.