Jewelry, Gems, & Minerals/what does a stamp of EG on italy 14k goldmean?

Yes ive come about a 14k itLy mesh small bracelet it has an ingraving or stamp of EG on it it dont loolike gold more like copper .i took it to a pond shop and they said it wasnt stuck to a magnet  could u please let me know what exzactly i have.? Thanks james

Dear James,

Without having the bracelet in my hands to test, I have no way to tell you what it is made of.  From what you have said and the fact that the pawn shop said it was not gold, the best I can say it is NOT gold but cannot say what it is.  Some  costume jewelry with heavy plated surfaces will show slight attraction to a magnet but most will not do that.  

Italian manufacturers have a good reputation overall and the marking is almost always with the numerical mark for the karat and not the karat stamp. What I mean is this:  14k would be usually marked 585, the accepted quality mark for 14k gold in many European countries.   This is how much actual gold is in the metal mix, 58.3% pure gold.  Many fakes are stamped Italy since Italian gold is considered good quality.

I hope this help some.  God Bless.  Have a fine Christmas or other Holiday season.  Thomas.  

Jewelry, Gems, & Minerals

Have a question about jewelry repair or working with precious metal jewelry and gemstones? For many years up to December 31, 2010, I was a working professional bench jeweler, involved everyday with setting stones in mountings, designing and making jewelry, repairing and limited custom manufacture. If you work with jewelry as a hobby or as a profession, I might be able to help. I deal with the retail business, not mass production. Ask privately if you wish. See the box for that: It keeps your question between us. Please DO NOT ask MAKER'S MARKS, but metal quality marks are fine to ask. Please DO NOT ask diamond prices. See a gemologist for that.

I have extensive experience in design, service and making of jewelry. I deal mostly with precious metals and gemstones but work with many materials as needed and usable to create an artistic design. My experience also includes freelance photography and photographer of jewelry and similar items for a former employer and individuals. Design of custom items requires reading the desires of the client and being clear on what can be done within that framework...then fulfilling the transition of idea to reality. Effective communications is essential in a working designer/producer and customer relationship.

Education is English/Physics! Started in human resources, to advertising, to, what a road. I have had formal training in jewelry work and many shared experiences with top grade jewelers. We just never know were we will go or be. Follow your best, your dreams, with some discretion! Don't let the work tear up your body along the way as it has mine.