Jewelry, Gems, & Minerals/10k ring

my mother in laws great aunt has gave me her late husbands ring.he bought from mexico long ago it has a 10k stamp on it and looks like a 81 circled.but if turned up side down 18 has a beautiful green looks like.i can see scratches on it and is a dark green stone in light looks very beautiful.the stone is set but can hear it shake like it is loose a is scratched and looks a little chiped.what is it and what is the ingravings??

Questions concerning any markings or codes on jewelry are outside of my field of expertise and are best addressed to a jeweler.
From your description it is rather difficult to give you more information concerning the green stone. An emerald is the green variety of the mineral beryl(Be3Al2SiO36) and owes its green color to trace amounts of chromium and/or vanadium in its crystal structure. However, beryl minerals are very hard (Mohs hardness of 8) and are NOT easily scratched. Your description of scratches on the stone is therefore worrisome and point to something of lesser value, like green glass.
For assurance you may want to take the ring to a jeweler. They can test the ring quickly to give you a more accurate assessment.

Jewelry, Gems, & Minerals

Uwe Richard Kackstaetter, Ph.D. (Dr.K)

I can answer questions concerning minerals, mineralogy, gems, metals, and anything that has to do with geology. However, I am NOT a jeweler. Questions about values, settings, gem stone cuts and appraisals are best directed to other experts on this site. I can however aide in the identification of unknown mineral materials. As a public service and part as training for new geoscientists, our university department provides FREE mineral identification for individuals. Please contact me for details or go to for details..

I am a professor of applied geology and mineralogy with many hours of field experience. Furthermore, I enjoy recreational gold prospecting and mineral collecting. As a professor I am engaged in research concerning minerals and their occurrence.

Member of the GPAA (Gold Prospectors Association of America) as well as the Association of Environmental Geochemists. Member of the GSA (Geologic Society of America) Member of the AIPG (American Institute of Professional Geologists)

Here is a small sampling: Mineral-rock handbook: Rapid-easy mineral-rock determination : written for anyone interested in minerals and rocks - Proctor, Peterson, and Kackstaetter;Macmillan Pub. Co. (New York and Toronto and New York) Physical Geology Laboratory e-Manual [CD-ROM], Kackstaetter, Earth Science Education LLC Colorado Front Range Self-guided Geology Field Trips, Kackstaetter,

Ph.D. in Applied Geology and Mineralogy. I am actively teaching courses in mineralogy and a variety of field courses with mineral collecting opportunities. Background in precious metal exploration.