Jewelry, Gems, & Minerals/Barry Keiselstein Alligator ring

Hi!  so happy to have an expert to ask this question!  There is a ring by the above designer, it is a gold alligator body that wraps around finger with its tail and head but does not have a classic round ting band.  Can you then have a way of opening up the diameter so that it can fit a bigger finger?  This ring is a 5.5, and my finger I want to wear it on is more a 7.5.
Thank you in advance!!

Dear Dianne,

If your ring is like the one in the photo I saw, it appears the alligator tail is not attached to the body of the alligator head.  If this is the case, a jeweler should be able to spread open the ring enough to go up two sizes. One size is very close to 2.5mm or 1/10 inch. Two sizes would be 5mm or 2/10 inch.   This is less than a quarter of an inch and if the ring will bend open that far and still look ok and feel ok on your finger, there you have it!  If need be, the end of the tail may be bent gently to fit the curve of the larger finger size.

If the tail is attached to the head, the ring will need a piece of gold added to make the circle of the ring larger.  A jeweler should be able to do this with little problem. The piece put into the ring will likely be solid and not hollow on the inside like the original ring but being on the inside that will make no difference. The design on the outside may be closely duplicated so that no one need know the ring has be sized.  

These are neat rings. I checked it out and found the photo.

Dianne, I see no problem for a competent bench jeweler in making this ring fit your finger. If for any reason you need to get back on this, please feel free to use a follow-up. I should be here to get it.

God Bless and Peace.  Thomas.  

Jewelry, Gems, & Minerals

Have a question about jewelry repair or working with precious metal jewelry and gemstones? For many years up to December 31, 2010, I was a working professional bench jeweler, involved everyday with setting stones in mountings, designing and making jewelry, repairing and limited custom manufacture. If you work with jewelry as a hobby or as a profession, I might be able to help. I deal with the retail business, not mass production. Ask privately if you wish. See the box for that: It keeps your question between us. Please DO NOT ask MAKER'S MARKS, but metal quality marks are fine to ask. Please DO NOT ask diamond prices. See a gemologist for that.

I have extensive experience in design, service and making of jewelry. I deal mostly with precious metals and gemstones but work with many materials as needed and usable to create an artistic design. My experience also includes freelance photography and photographer of jewelry and similar items for a former employer and individuals. Design of custom items requires reading the desires of the client and being clear on what can be done within that framework...then fulfilling the transition of idea to reality. Effective communications is essential in a working designer/producer and customer relationship.

Education is English/Physics! Started in human resources, to advertising, to, what a road. I have had formal training in jewelry work and many shared experiences with top grade jewelers. We just never know were we will go or be. Follow your best, your dreams, with some discretion! Don't let the work tear up your body along the way as it has mine.