Jewelry, Gems, & Minerals/How do i know what i have??

Question
QUESTION: You are just the person I need. I bought a mixed parcel from jtv. But I have no clue what I have. Where would I go to find out what they are..the quality and clarity and weight and what it might be worth. What questions should I ask and what should I look out for to make sure they are not telling me a bunch of lies. Would a jeweler be able to tell me? And does this service usually cost and about how much?

Thank You For Your Time

ANSWER: Hi Richard,

You need to locate a Graduate Gemologist near you and call them for an appointment. Tell them the situation and ask what it would cost for their time. I charge no less than $150 for my time. If the gemologist also does appraisals he can tell you an approximate value of the stones. If you bought the parcel for less than $250 it may not be worth it so use some common sense and you may want to learn what they are yourself. And maybe next time you may know what your bidding on. Good Luck,

Peter

QUESTION: Ya I just bought it straight out. It was a cheap parcel as we are beginners and it was less than 30.00 I am sure what a couple of them are. I know one of them are. But one of them is a very dull deep orange. that one was the starngest one of all. I know one of them is severly included by the black line through it. I figured I couldnt go wrong for a beginner. Can you give me an idea about the orange one? You are awesome for your honesty and believe me I would never spend that much money without knowing what I was buying.

Answer
Hi Richard,

I can't even guess what the stones are just by the color. Even a picture is not good enough. Go to the library and get "The Encyclopedia of Gemstones" and see if any resemble the ones you have. Tallk to folks and go to Gem and Mineral shows so next time you can get something that may be worth buying. Good Luck,

Peter

Jewelry, Gems, & Minerals

Peter Lumetta