Jewelry, Gems, & Minerals/Larimar

Question
What is the best way to  shape and polish rough cut larimar. Also best way to set stone: drill hole for simple bail or do bezel setting?

Answer
I have not cut Larimar myself but the stone cutters and Dominican Republic will cut Larimar to all forms many shapes teardrops hearts whatever the trick is to save as much as the blue as possible... Generally Larimar will come in many patterns and a lot of white swirls the best result is keeping as much blue as you can and not wasting it... Now I have to tell you, I'm not a cutter, but Larimore can easily fracture you can have a oval for example almost done and  an end will just crack off... I think it comes with experience and which direction to cut it on... I can tell you this if you're using diamond bits for drilling holes... Do anything you can to avoid drilling.... My experience, cracked pieces holes that are not straight holes that are oval-shaped... Just a real mess. And that's with diamond bits using water as a coolant..
I have no experience with ultrasound drilling you may want to look into that. If you're going to be doing a lot... hAnd mounting is the best way because is generally hard to make Larimore into exact sizes without wasting too much stone... Please let me know if I can answer any other questions

Jewelry, Gems, & Minerals

Rolfe Foxwell