Jewelry, Gems, & Minerals/old ring

I was just wondering if you could help identify a ring that was left to me. the hallmarks stamped inside the band I belive  are 18CT A PLAT. I was hoping you can tell me roughly how old it is and the style, I live in England if it is any help will post some pics.
yours thankfully

p.s let know if you need better pics thanks

Hi, Ben.

The metal quality marks are now following a numerical convention where in previous years the "ct" or carat mark may have been used.  The numerical mark for 18ct is 750, representing parts per thousand of pure gold in the jewelry metal alloy. For those who might read this and wonder why this id ct and not kt, the answer is a because of which is used where you are.  Kt standing for karat is used in the USA and some other countries while British commonwealth countries generally have used carat and ct to mean the same thing as karat.  

The combination of 18ct and PLAT indicates the ring contains both metals.  I suspect the shank or band portion of the ring is 18ct gold and the stone setting area (this is a white metal is it not?) is platinum.  I honestly cannot say much about the style except that rings of this sort may be seen from perhaps just after the turn of the century( 19th to 20th) and to beyond 1930.

I cannot clearly see the hallmarks in that photo but another is not needed.  Someone more expert than I in antique and estate jewelry will need to see this ring. I suppose the shop in Cambridge is no longer there?

Dates for jewelry in the UK are show with letter of various shapes and containing shapes. The convention of dating items is now not required. See the link below for dates as published by the assay office in Birmingham:

Ben, I do hope the sparse information I have been able to provide will be of value to you.

God Bless and Peace.  Thomas.  

Jewelry, Gems, & Minerals

Have a question about jewelry repair or working with precious metal jewelry and gemstones? For many years up to December 31, 2010, I was a working professional bench jeweler, involved everyday with setting stones in mountings, designing and making jewelry, repairing and limited custom manufacture. If you work with jewelry as a hobby or as a profession, I might be able to help. I deal with the retail business, not mass production. Ask privately if you wish. See the box for that: It keeps your question between us. Please DO NOT ask MAKER'S MARKS, but metal quality marks are fine to ask. Please DO NOT ask diamond prices. See a gemologist for that.

I have extensive experience in design, service and making of jewelry. I deal mostly with precious metals and gemstones but work with many materials as needed and usable to create an artistic design. My experience also includes freelance photography and photographer of jewelry and similar items for a former employer and individuals. Design of custom items requires reading the desires of the client and being clear on what can be done within that framework...then fulfilling the transition of idea to reality. Effective communications is essential in a working designer/producer and customer relationship.

Education is English/Physics! Started in human resources, to advertising, to, what a road. I have had formal training in jewelry work and many shared experiences with top grade jewelers. We just never know were we will go or be. Follow your best, your dreams, with some discretion! Don't let the work tear up your body along the way as it has mine.