Jewelry, Gems, & Minerals/opals

are opals really worth much? I inherited some of my mother's jewlery and there are a few opals. One of them is quite large--quarter size. It was cut in half to be put on a pendant.

Opals are pretty but I didn't think they were valuable.

Hi Debee,

Sure they are valuable. When you consider everyone has a diamond, but very few own an Opal.You only know how valuable when you attempt to replace them . While they are in most cases not as expensive as quality Diamond emerald ruby and sapphire.A very good opal can be and even worth more.
The stone carries with it the beauty found in all coloured stones  and if kept correctly will last for long time .Just check your local jewellery store and see if they carry any natural opal..
Probably not , with the mining and fuel and world economics gone mad and China doing everything (except mine opal )  they are becoming a rare item and thus the  value is held and appreciated .
Hope that helps  best regards Rod  

Jewelry, Gems, & Minerals

Rod Keady

all info pertaining to australian opals and opal fields is ok. online valuations is difficult but not entirely impossible. Photographs of stones should clearly show weight in carats and scale in mm. naturally photographs of opals are the hardest thing to take as a slight shift in direction displays a new colour or plane

Born into a pioneering opal family , now 48 yrs old , visited every opal field in australia, seen some of the finest stones ever produced . Sold high quality gems to japanese collectors and europeans and Americans
Have an incredible photogallery of opals ...try me !

The Directory of Australian Opal Dealers AGIOA Basel Gem Fair
Iwaki Dinosaur Fair Ibaragi Prefecture Japan
International Jewelry Tokyo .
Hong Kong Jewellery Show , Bankok Jewellery Show, Hiroshima Exhibition of Fine Gems, Tokyo International Jewellery Fair . various gem and jewellery WEBSITES

Sydney Grammar School graduate