Jewelry, Gems, & Minerals/purple quartz

Question
I recently found a 40 lb chunk of purple quartz in a piece of land I have and am suspecting I may find lots more.

Q.1. Do you know of an industry directory/conference/association for wholesale quartz and/or gold buyers?

Q.2. Do you know which industrial uses purple quartz has?  I think its used in water filters but not sure.

Thanks

Answer
Hello Mike
Congratulations on your find! Purple quartz (aka Amethyst) is a variety of quartz that is violet because of presence of cobalt ions in it. However it has most of the properties of quartz, including being piezoelectric.

1. You can contact AGTA or ICA in the Unites States. They are 2 of the largest organizations for gemstone dealers in the US & the world respectively. You might also want to visit the Tucson Gem Fair  to find potential partners or buyers of Purple Quartz.

2. The biggest industry that uses Purple Quartz & Quartz in general is the Gemstone & Watch industry. Watch industry uses it in the quartz movement (but those are mostly synthetic), while gemstone industry cut it, sets it in jewelry & sells it.

I hope that helps.

Best regards
Sambhav Karnawat
IIT Kanpur Alumnus
Suranas Jewelove

Fine Art Deco & Platinum Jewelry
Platinum Wedding Love Bands now available online

Jewelry, Gems, & Minerals

Sambhav Karnawat