Jewelry, Gems, & Minerals/Gold layering

Dear sir,

My wife and I own a jewelry company. Handcrafted silver rings and earrings, made on Bali.
Most items are afterwards plated with rosť gold.  We tried a few different companies but we still have problems with discolorations and fading. We are looking to switch to gold 'layering' . Is that a good choice?

And more important: where do we find a good company that does that? We are based in the Netherlands.

Thank you very much!

Dear Sander,

I am not certain what you mean by gold "layering" unless this is an extra thick form or electroplating.  Once an item is produced, electroplating is the only reasonable method to add a colorful layer of gold.  A more durable form of gold layer is that of "gold filled" items. This is often called overlaid or layered.  Gold filled metal is a base metal interior with a bonded layer of gold alloy on the surface.  The precious metal layer is quite thick "in comparison" to electroplate, although still relatively thin. The metal is made with this sandwich of precious metal prior to production into objects of jewelry, etc.

A heavy gold electroplate should be fairly durable. For the rose gold to fade as you mentioned, the layer is likely too thin to start, too little time or "activity" in the electroplate bath to build up a reasonably durable layer of gold.

I you can tell me more of the process you have in mind, perhaps I can be of greater help.

As for a company to do heavy electroplate work for you, I have no contacts in the Netherlands. The best I can do in that regard is provide the name of a manufacturer of electroplating chemicals, one of the better manufacturers in the USA. You might email from their website and ask if they know of a plater in your area. That is worth the time to email and ask.

Sander, best wishes and God bless to all.   Thomas.

Jewelry, Gems, & Minerals

Have a question about jewelry repair or working with precious metal jewelry and gemstones? For many years up to December 31, 2010, I was a working professional bench jeweler, involved everyday with setting stones in mountings, designing and making jewelry, repairing and limited custom manufacture. If you work with jewelry as a hobby or as a profession, I might be able to help. I deal with the retail business, not mass production. Ask privately if you wish. See the box for that: It keeps your question between us. Please DO NOT ask MAKER'S MARKS, but metal quality marks are fine to ask. Please DO NOT ask diamond prices. See a gemologist for that.

I have extensive experience in design, service and making of jewelry. I deal mostly with precious metals and gemstones but work with many materials as needed and usable to create an artistic design. My experience also includes freelance photography and photographer of jewelry and similar items for a former employer and individuals. Design of custom items requires reading the desires of the client and being clear on what can be done within that framework...then fulfilling the transition of idea to reality. Effective communications is essential in a working designer/producer and customer relationship.

Education is English/Physics! Started in human resources, to advertising, to, what a road. I have had formal training in jewelry work and many shared experiences with top grade jewelers. We just never know were we will go or be. Follow your best, your dreams, with some discretion! Don't let the work tear up your body along the way as it has mine.