Jewelry, Gems, & Minerals/LG Silver Earrings

Question
Hi Thomas,

I recently bought a pair of earrings at a thrift store whose label was marked "lg silver." Do you have any idea what the lg might stand for? Does it give indication regarding what exactly the composition of the metal is?

Thanks,
George

Answer
Hello, George. Thanks for the question.

Unfortunately the LG is not an indication of metal quality. This could be a trade mark or something else concerning the product or manufacturer.  Also, when used alone, the word silver is often misused referring to "similar color" to sterling silver in an actually deceptive sort of way.  

What do you have?  I do not know.  The only way to know is to have the metal tested by a jeweler. Considering the items were purchased at a thrift shop, it might not be worth paying to have the earrings tested.

Legally a fairly universal marking for sterling silver is the numerical equivalent of pure silver content in the metal, that being 0.925, meaning the same as 92.5% pure silver with the other metal most often copper.   "Sterling silver" or simply "sterling" are legally recognized metal quality marks.   The marking "silver" alone is not definitive.

I hope you had a fine Christmas and wish a blessing of joy in the new year.  Thomas.  

Jewelry, Gems, & Minerals

Thomas