Jewelry, Gems, & Minerals/24 Karat Gold Overlay rubbing off

Question
Dear Thomas,

I have a small retail jewelry business. I buy many of my gemstones from a wholesale supplier who sells his pieces as "24 Karat Gold Overlay" in bezels and chains etc.  The gold has rubbed off on several of the pieces I bought from him, revealing silver underneath.  Most of these pieces have never been worn and are kept in plastic bags. Is there any law about selling precious metal that is not what they tell you?  Or someone I could report him to?

thank you.

Answer
Dear Laura,

Even with the softness of "24 karat gold" an actual overlay would not rub off as you describe. What you actually have sounds like a very thin flash plate of high karat gold on silver. Technically and legally, gold over sterling is called "vermeil" (ver-may).  This is a quite thin electroplate and not near the thickness of what would be called an overlay.  Overlay imp-lied a thickness similar to that of gold filled, a gold bonded base metal with a long life in the gold layer.

This organization might help.  I do not know if there can be recourse for you but they do need to be aware of any fraudulent representation of jewelry items, such as those you have purchased.

The Jewelers Vigilance Committee
http://www.jvclegal.org/

Contact info is at the site. Things like you have told me about are the reason this organization exists.

I would send the seller a strong letter of disapproval in the merchandise as represented.

Best wishes, Laura. Hope it works out well.  God Bless and Peace.  Thomas.

Jewelry, Gems, & Minerals

Thomas