Jewelry, Gems, & Minerals/jewelry epoxy

Question
ring
ring  
Hello!   My name is Cyndi. I am a nail technician and wash my hands quite a bit. I work with polish remover, alcohol, acetone (occasionally)and acrylic nail products. About 1 year ago, I fell in love with this ring. It is yellow gold with a 2 prong, marquis center stone. On each side, there are 4 smaller, 2 prong marquis peridot stones in an 'x' pattern. And channel set diamonds framing the peridot, but not the center marquis.   I bought the ring and took it to 2 different jewelers to ensure the stability of the stones based on my work and that I would be wearing it everyday, although I remove my rings after I get home in the evening (before dinner, dishes and bed) and wont put it on again until I leave for work. The jewelers told me the smaller stones were unstable and that I would replace them often due to loss. This was proven after one of the stones fell out in the box before the second jeweler even examined it. Now the question... Will an epoxy be effective? Do the stones have to be removed and replaced in setting with epoxy or can it be used underneath?  Would a jeweler do this or is it all up to me? I truly appreciate any help.

Answer
Cyndi,

A water clear gemstone epocy such as Hughes 330 will do if application is very delicate to keep it fairly hidden from view; however polish remover and acetone is a solvent for epoxy cements and will over time discolor or dissolve the cement.

Water clear one part cements cured with ultraviolet light are likely the best choice if physical tightening will not be sufficient to secure the gemstones. These cements may react to a much less extent to acetone than will epoxy cement.  I find the UV glue (often sold for mending glass ware, etc.) to be quite strong, a tiny application under the end of the marquise stones and perhaps a very tiny, touch to the edge of the round stone using a needle for applicator.  The lease amount needed to flow between the girdle(waist of the stone) and the ring metal will form a reasonably strong bond. The flow is more easily controlled than with epoxy.  I will try to find a website for you so you can see this sort of cement.  A better crafts store may have the cement. It needs a small uv lamp to cure the cement or exposure to bright direct sunlight. Always leave a tiny nib of cement on the applicator(id straight pin or needle) and allow it to stay in the light along with the ring.  When the cement is cured on the applicator, it should be cured on the ring.  If need be, turn the ring over and let the sun or uv light also strike the back side of the gems.

Link, also try Amazon.com and crafts stores.
http://www.esslinger.com/crystalclear-ultravioletglassadhesives.aspx

Best wishes with your ring. Thanks for the very clear sketch. God Bless and Peace.  Thomas.

Cyndi, if you want to use the UV cement, get back with me if any explanation is needed in application of the cement. I can make a sketch, likely not so neat at yours but something to show how and where I prefer application of the cement.  

Jewelry, Gems, & Minerals

Thomas