Jewelry, Gems, & Minerals/marking on a ring

Question
Dear Thomas,
         I have bought a white gold/silver ring at a fair a few years ago it has stamped on it 825,im just wondering what metal would this be.I look forward to your reply.
         Many Thanks
         Melissa Sutcliffe

Answer
Dear Melissa,

Unfortunately from only this numerical marking the metal of your ring can not be determined. Most likely, the metal is silver with a mix of 850 parts pure silver and 15 parts other metals. Some jewelry from Europe years ago was 850 silver, as was some silver from Mexico in North America. This would generally be old items and 850 is considered uncommon. Sterling silver is 950.

Melissa, to know for sure this item is silver you need to have a jeweler test the metal. They will  likely not be able to test close enough to designate the parts per thousand such as 850 but the testing will reveal if silver is the primary metal in the alloy.  It is possible the numeral has nothing to do with metal quality.

If per chance white gold, this would be 19 1/2 karat, again quite unusual. While an American manufacturer does produce 19 karat items (Scott Kay) those modern items would be closer to 800 parts fine gold than 850.

If you paid a small price for the ring, consider it a silver mix but have it tested it important enough to learn in certainty.

Thanks for the question. Sorry that the answer cannot be definitive considering the information to go on.

God Bless and Peace.  Thomas.

Thanks for the question.  God Bless and Peace.  Thomas.  

Jewelry, Gems, & Minerals

Thomas