Jewelry, Gems, & Minerals/Ring markings

Question
I just got a  couple of rings, one is marked on the inside GP on one side and CN on the other side and I really want to know what this means, I assumed GP is Gold pleated but it doesn't tell the purity, I got lost with the CN part. I have o clue....

The other ring I got has a has a small ruby and it is a golden ring but It doesn't have any markings at all, it also has a very beautiful engraving all around the outside in silver tone, I think it is a lot of work for it to be done in a non precious metal. I got the 2 rings in the same lot.  Is there any way I can tell if it is rel gold?

I appreciate any help I can get!! Thank you

Answer
Hi Erika,

The "GP" stamp is in fact the gold Plated stamp. The purity of the plating is inconsequential. It is such a small amount of actual gold that it doesn't matter. Plating is measured in microns of thickness, thousandths of an inch. The CN is the manufacturers stamp.

The only way to find out if it is gold is to test it. With no stamp it is more likely a piece of costume jewelry.

Good Luck,

Peter

Jewelry, Gems, & Minerals

Peter Lumetta