Jewelry, Gems, & Minerals/Selling loose gemstones and turqouise

My mom just recently passed away, and I'm trying to come up with the money to pay for things, she has a large collection on loose gemstones, ranging from sapphire, ruby, garnet, tourmaline, pink sapphire, the list goes on.  I'm trying to figure out a way to part with these things but my knowledge is limited and i don't want to be taken advantage of.  She was a silversmith, so she was well aware, guess i should have paid more attention.  I don't want to to take them to a pawn shop but i don't know where to start.  Any input would be greatly appreciated.  

Thanks for your time,

Hi Gretchen,
I wouldn't suggest taking the gems to a pawnshop as they might try to buy it off you at the lowest price possible. Try taking them to a reputable jeweler or appraiser near you. They are more likely to appraise them close to their real value than pawnshops. Hope that helps.

Jewelry, Gems, & Minerals

Jonathon Ohayon

Any diamond, jewelry or engagement ring related questions. I am a Graduate Gemologist and have extensive experience in the field of Gemology including diamonds, gemstones, and precious metals.

I have been working in the jewelry industry for over 10 years and am a Gemologist. I also appraise diamonds and jewelry for

Graduate Gemologist and Bachelors in Business Management. Apprenticed under Head Gemologist of for 2 years.