Jewelry, Gems, & Minerals/silver

I have a silver necklace that has 925 Italy and on the other side it has ka 1775 just wanting to know if its real silver

Dear Timothy,

The markings are consistent with regulations for sterling silver. The Italy is country of origin and the ka would be the manufacturer.  There are fakes out there with counterfeit markings but this is not so common with silver items.  To know absolutely, a jeweler would need to test the necklace.  As for me, I would accept it as sterling and wear it.   A plated surface will wear through in time and silver will be silver from now on, even if rhodium plated which will wear through to the sterling silver metal making the necklace.

Thanks for asking.  God Bless and Peace.  Thomas.  

Jewelry, Gems, & Minerals

Have a question about jewelry repair or working with precious metal jewelry and gemstones? For many years up to December 31, 2010, I was a working professional bench jeweler, involved everyday with setting stones in mountings, designing and making jewelry, repairing and limited custom manufacture. If you work with jewelry as a hobby or as a profession, I might be able to help. I deal with the retail business, not mass production. Ask privately if you wish. See the box for that: It keeps your question between us. Please DO NOT ask MAKER'S MARKS, but metal quality marks are fine to ask. Please DO NOT ask diamond prices. See a gemologist for that.

I have extensive experience in design, service and making of jewelry. I deal mostly with precious metals and gemstones but work with many materials as needed and usable to create an artistic design. My experience also includes freelance photography and photographer of jewelry and similar items for a former employer and individuals. Design of custom items requires reading the desires of the client and being clear on what can be done within that framework...then fulfilling the transition of idea to reality. Effective communications is essential in a working designer/producer and customer relationship.

Education is English/Physics! Started in human resources, to advertising, to, what a road. I have had formal training in jewelry work and many shared experiences with top grade jewelers. We just never know were we will go or be. Follow your best, your dreams, with some discretion! Don't let the work tear up your body along the way as it has mine.