Jewelry, Gems, & Minerals/Gemstones and liver of silver

Question
Tomas, I recently had a jeweler change the post on a set of sterling silver earings that match a necklace. My mother bought the set in Mexico in the 50s and they have roughy cut amethysts with a lovely patina that was partly age but mostly an original design feature from liver of silver.  When I got the earrings back they had been polished, rather than having been only "cleaned" as I thought I had asked for. Now the earrings look new and don't match the necklace. I know how to use liver of silver to restore the patina, but my concern is how to protect the amethysts in the processing. What would you suggest?

Thanks I really want them to match again.

Answer
Dear Letitia,

Crystalline gems such as amethysts will not be affected at all by liver of sulfur. A porous stone or a silver ore cabochon could be discolored either from soaking up some of the chemical or direct chemical action and in the silver ore.  Otherwise, feel totally comfortable with application of liver of sulfur to the silver. Clean the metal well to start so no skin oils, etc. might interfere with good contact of the liquid with the metal.  Rinse well, finish off as desired and you are done.  NO harm will come to amethysts.  

Best wishes! Get back if more info is needed. God Bless and Peace.  Thomas.  

Jewelry, Gems, & Minerals

Thomas