Jewelry, Gems, & Minerals/hopefully values

Question
Ok, so you are the only person not stating a clear area of expertise, and not stating that you cannot place value on a ring, so I'm doing the best I can by talking to you. I'm not a money-monger, so please, no snideness. I need to know the rough value of a 1960s black hills gold ring to earn extra credit in a art class(he made me draw the ring up close to work on prospective and said that if I could tell him the value of the ring he'd give me extra credit, bout 5pts, which I could use since I didn't draw it too well) and since I live in a very small town 45 miles from the nearest jewler, I figured id come here. If you need a photo, let me know. I have ABSOLUTELY NO INTENTION of selling it. Its an heirloom, and I just want to know its value. Thanks!

Answer
Hi Sam;

A gold rings value is based on two things, The weight and the karatage. So get the weight in grams and check the quality stamp on the inside of the shank. if the ring weighs 4 grams and is stamped 10K then 10k divided by 24k = .42 or 42% of the gold price of about $1590/oz or $668 divided by 28grams = $23.86 a gram times 4 grams is $95.43. That is the gold value then you need to add the workmanship, retail markup and the design. That will give you the value approximately. Good Luck,

Peter

Jewelry, Gems, & Minerals

Peter Lumetta