Jewelry, Gems, & Minerals/ring marking

Question
PL
PL  
I have a heavy,Silver colored metal ring with PL not ststamped or engreaved but instead looks to be etched. There is no other markings.  Is this a Platinum ring or what do I have?  Any help would be Appreciated

Answer
Dear John,

Thanks for this question. The markings do not fit regulations for the USA.  I suspect the mark is to indicate the manufacturer or is meant to confuse, as in fraud.  The best thing to do is have the metal tested by a jeweler.

PL is no acceptable as a marking because it confuses Platinum and Palladium. Marks for platinum are pt and plat often with a numeral to indicate amount of platinum in the alloy. Palladium uses PD as the marking. You see, the marks do not use letters found in both metals names. No "t" in palladium and no "d" in platinum.  The potential for confusion to the buyer is why PL is not accepted as a metal quality mark.

I hope this helps!  God Bless.  Thomas.

Jewelry, Gems, & Minerals

Thomas