Jewelry, Gems, & Minerals/How snug is a ring supposed to fit?

Hi, I'm not sure if you can answer the question, but thank you for any help.

My ring is a size 5, and it slides easily over my knuckle, but it is tight enough to where if i shake my hand around it isn't going to fall off. However, like a lot of other people, my finger is smaller than my knuckle. It tends to slide around a little bit, and I'm not sure if this is normal. It isn't so lose that it slides 360 degrees, but it does tend to slip a little to the left when I'm typing or something. Is this normal? Or should I try to see if maybe a 4.75 would work better?

Dear Leah,

If it slides easily over the knuckle, you can very likely go down 1/4 size.  Have a jeweler let you try on finger sizers and see what a size 5 feels like. It should the same tightness as your ring. Then try a 4.5 and see how that does. If too tight, you can likely use a 4.75.  If the ring still turns way too much, ask about two bead put on the inside to take up space to help it not to turn.  Some call these "sizing beads". A jeweler should know what this is.

Thanks so much for getting in touch.  God Bless and Peace.  Thomas.  

Jewelry, Gems, & Minerals

Have a question about jewelry repair or working with precious metal jewelry and gemstones? For many years up to December 31, 2010, I was a working professional bench jeweler, involved everyday with setting stones in mountings, designing and making jewelry, repairing and limited custom manufacture. If you work with jewelry as a hobby or as a profession, I might be able to help. I deal with the retail business, not mass production. Ask privately if you wish. See the box for that: It keeps your question between us. Please DO NOT ask MAKER'S MARKS, but metal quality marks are fine to ask. Please DO NOT ask diamond prices. See a gemologist for that.

I have extensive experience in design, service and making of jewelry. I deal mostly with precious metals and gemstones but work with many materials as needed and usable to create an artistic design. My experience also includes freelance photography and photographer of jewelry and similar items for a former employer and individuals. Design of custom items requires reading the desires of the client and being clear on what can be done within that framework...then fulfilling the transition of idea to reality. Effective communications is essential in a working designer/producer and customer relationship.

Education is English/Physics! Started in human resources, to advertising, to, what a road. I have had formal training in jewelry work and many shared experiences with top grade jewelers. We just never know were we will go or be. Follow your best, your dreams, with some discretion! Don't let the work tear up your body along the way as it has mine.