Jewelry, Gems, & Minerals/tanzanite

Question
Tanzanite ring
Tanzanite ring  
Hi, i have recently purchased a tanzanite ring from a jewellers but had to re-sell due to financial problems.  I resold on ebay only to receive an e-mail saying it wasn't tanzanite and it was sapphire.  My problem is that a gemologist classed it as tanzanite prior to sale but the jeweller who bought it from me (not a gemologist) used a presidium to test and demanded a full refund, i have since tested on a diamond tester which i believe sapphire tests as diamond and go no indication of it being a sapphire, so my question is who's opinion is more reliable as I am reluctant to sell again now but really need to, thank you.

Answer
Hi Emma,

I would suggest that you ask the gemologist what the refractive index was on the stone. The number should be around 1.76-77 for sapphire whereas Tanzanite is 1.69-70. Sapphire is a much more durable gem and much harder than Tanzaniteines.. To me there is no comparison, Sapphire is the better choice. I am a gemologist and I would say trust the gemologist over those machines, they are not reliable. Hope this helps, Good Luck.

Peter

Jewelry, Gems, & Minerals

Peter Lumetta