Jewelry, Gems, & Minerals/Baffling Stamp

Question
Hi, I have an 18 karat white gold wheat chain with a lobster clasp that I bought at Bloomingdale's in Chicago, IL in 1998. There is a stamp on both sides, that read V1200. I'm completely baffled! Do you know what this stamp means and does it raise the value of the gold? Thank you so much for your time and consideration, I really appreciate it.

Kind Regards,
Sera

Answer
Dear Sara,

The mark V1200 is not one of the Federal regulatory stamps for jewelry, leaving us with the conclusion that it must signify something besides metal quality.  This mark may reference a manufacturers designation.

While the mark would not give us any reason to believe the value of the chain is affected, do keep in mind the differences in gold prices since 1998. April 30, 1998 the spot price for gold bullion was $310/ troy ounce.  In 2013, April 30 spot price was $1598. The necklace purchase price of 15 years ago is far surpassed by the cost of replacing the jewelry at prices today.

Thanks for the question. Marks are confusing and even the regulations leave open a few choices of how to stamp an article of precious metal.  The karat stamp will be either 18k(karat) or 750, showing the item is 750 parts pure gold out of 1000, otherwise 75% gold.

God Bless and Peace.  Thomas.  

Jewelry, Gems, & Minerals

Thomas