Jewelry, Gems, & Minerals/chipped emerald

Question
I recently put a deposit on an emerald ring at a small jewelry store that has a "no returns" policy.  The ring is on layaway.  When I looked at my receipt preparatory to making another payment I noticed it says "emerald chipped."  I was not told this at time of purchase, and I did not notice any flaw.  The emerald is nearly 3 carats and not clear, but looked like a very nice emerald, especially for the price, $1395 (it is square with a border of 1.0 carats in diamonds, set in 14k gold).  When I asked why it was so inexpensive I was told it was an estate piece, i.e., used,and I did notice that the gold band was somewhat diminished.  Assuming the chip is small (I did not see it, as I said), does this still sound like a good value, or can the emerald chip more or crack and/or break because of this flaw?  I will greatly appreciate any information you can give me regarding the effect of a small chip in an emerald.
Thank you,
Lynda Miller

Answer
Hi Lynda,

It sounds to me like the "chip" is not a worry if you didn't see it. Emeralds in general are a delicate gem and can break or chip or scratch fairly easily. With a carat of diamonds a 3 carat emerald and a 14k ring,the price seems very reasonable. You might want to ask the jeweler to see the ring and ask him to show you the chip. Then decide if you still want it. Good luck,

Peter

Jewelry, Gems, & Minerals

Peter Lumetta