Jewelry, Gems, & Minerals/welo opal

Why did my well opal turn yellow?

Hi Karen,
Thanks for your question. I have a good deal of experience with Wello Opal from Ethiopia.
After about 1 - 2 years the colour will fade , but before that  many stones turn a mucky yellow colour . Truth is that they treat the stones in oil of some sort to enhance the brilliance  of colours . This is not the case with any  Australian Opal . So put simply your stone has been treated . Sorry to hear about that ... They do  look lovely when you first buy them ...but that just dont last .hope that helps  best regards Rod  

Jewelry, Gems, & Minerals

Rod Keady

all info pertaining to australian opals and opal fields is ok. online valuations is difficult but not entirely impossible. Photographs of stones should clearly show weight in carats and scale in mm. naturally photographs of opals are the hardest thing to take as a slight shift in direction displays a new colour or plane

Born into a pioneering opal family , now 48 yrs old , visited every opal field in australia, seen some of the finest stones ever produced . Sold high quality gems to japanese collectors and europeans and Americans
Have an incredible photogallery of opals ...try me !

The Directory of Australian Opal Dealers AGIOA Basel Gem Fair
Iwaki Dinosaur Fair Ibaragi Prefecture Japan
International Jewelry Tokyo .
Hong Kong Jewellery Show , Bankok Jewellery Show, Hiroshima Exhibition of Fine Gems, Tokyo International Jewellery Fair . various gem and jewellery WEBSITES

Sydney Grammar School graduate