Jewelry, Gems, & Minerals/Name on 14kt gold necklace

Question
14kt chain
14kt chain  
Hello Thomas! I have a gold chain and it is marked 14k but also there is a mark CIT or CITI. Can you tell me what that means?

Thanks, Jen

Answer
Dear Jen,

First, thanks for the good photo. That always helps on my end. : )

The letter stamps do not refer to the quality of gold of your chain; the quality of gold is indicated by the 14k stamp.  In the United States, regulations require that if a karat (or relevant stamp for other precious metals) is placed on the metal, the maker must also put a mark representing the manufacturer as a statement of who is responsible for assuring the quality (14k) is accurate. In other words, mark the karat and you must also put the makers mark on the item.

In keeping with federal regulations, it makes sense that the CIT or CITI represents the manufacturer.  With so many jewelry manufacturers out there and with most in other countries sending their goods for sale in the USA, I am not able to identify the exact maker.  If you know where the chain was purchased they should be able to tell you the manufacturer if it is important enough to pursue.

I hope this helps.  God Bless and Peace. Have a wonderful summer.  Thomas.  

Jewelry, Gems, & Minerals

Thomas