Jewelry, Gems, & Minerals/Opals rough

I for my first time attempted to polish a opal (Austrilian) with tons of flash.  I attempted to take off the rough with my Dremel tool. Sanding, polishing, etc.  Now my opal is half the size and just about all the flash is gone.  There is a white hard substance on the opal now.  You can barely see the flash.  It is inside that I can see, but is getting smaller and smaller as I go.  I'm afraid I've ruined it.  I did not put any polish or anything on it.  My question is.  How can I revive what's left and what is the proper way to polish an opal in the rough?  I thank you for the time in answering my question and your expertise.

Hi Shari,
well thats a bummer , but really youve got to use  lapidary wheels to do the grinding other wise you can go straight thru a colour bar . Wheels are wet and you can see the coloutr when your going down onto it . I use a dremel type tool too but never to buzz down onto the bar especially with boulder that might be a wafer thin. Get the stone under a stream fo fine mist onto a wheel and youll never have that problem again ..  best regs Rod  

Jewelry, Gems, & Minerals

Rod Keady

all info pertaining to australian opals and opal fields is ok. online valuations is difficult but not entirely impossible. Photographs of stones should clearly show weight in carats and scale in mm. naturally photographs of opals are the hardest thing to take as a slight shift in direction displays a new colour or plane

Born into a pioneering opal family , now 48 yrs old , visited every opal field in australia, seen some of the finest stones ever produced . Sold high quality gems to japanese collectors and europeans and Americans
Have an incredible photogallery of opals ...try me !

The Directory of Australian Opal Dealers AGIOA Basel Gem Fair
Iwaki Dinosaur Fair Ibaragi Prefecture Japan
International Jewelry Tokyo .
Hong Kong Jewellery Show , Bankok Jewellery Show, Hiroshima Exhibition of Fine Gems, Tokyo International Jewellery Fair . various gem and jewellery WEBSITES

Sydney Grammar School graduate