Jewelry, Gems, & Minerals/Euro Cut Diamonds

Hi!  I have recently been getting into vintage and antique fine jewelry collecting and reselling, particularly Edwardian and art deco diamond rings.  However, I've found differentiating old European cut vs modern cut diamonds to be quite difficult when set.  Do you have any tips or red flags for telling them apart?  Thank you!

Hi Kelly,
You would have to have a trained eye for telling old from the vintage cuts (an antique style cut but is actually new diamonds) as well as a scope to be able to examine the cuts and wearing (true antiques are usually more worn out.) But this comprehensive guide by a Pricescope's David Atlas might be able to help you out This and this also a great resource

Getting a grading report will also help in clarifying the authenticity of an antique stone. There's something to be said about an antique's symmetry as opposed to a newer diamond (not as precise as a newer, presence of a bruted thin girdle etc.)

Goodluck in your endeavors!

Jewelry, Gems, & Minerals

Jonathon Ohayon

Any diamond, jewelry or engagement ring related questions. I am a Graduate Gemologist and have extensive experience in the field of Gemology including diamonds, gemstones, and precious metals.

I have been working in the jewelry industry for over 10 years and am a Gemologist. I also appraise diamonds and jewelry for

Graduate Gemologist and Bachelors in Business Management. Apprenticed under Head Gemologist of for 2 years.