Jewelry, Gems, & Minerals/Making scrap gold cast in ceramic kiln.

Wayne wrote at 2013-08-27 00:38:44
Dear Thomas, well it is a long way down the track since my first contact.  After several goes at getting the slip cast moulds right - to cut a very long story short - the process does not work.  For information it is a sealed electric kiln.  The gold seemed to attract some fumes from the glazed items that were in the kiln and the gold acquired a thick slag covering and only partly melted.  It looked like a small section of black mammal brain.  I have since tried to torch melt it.  The gold melts inside the thick coating of slag but the slag proved extremely difficult to remove.  I have ended up acid bathing the lump with success.  I'm now going to work on torch melt and pour.  Thankyou for your kind words.

Jewelry, Gems, & Minerals

Thomas