Jewelry, Gems, & Minerals/marking on a 14kt gold neclace

what does 14kt gold necklace 588

Der Margo, the numeral 588 does not fit what is used for karat marks. This is possibly an id of a style of necklace. The 14k tells what the necklace is made of as far as karat of gold.

Sometimes both a numerical mark and a K mark will be on a jewelry item. 14k may be marked with the numbers 583 or 585.  While 583 is officially 14k, 585 was started in use in Europe and now is used for most 14k jewelry. This is slightly higher than 14k, being about 14.04 karat, just high enough to assure the gold does reach the true standard for 14k by being slightly higher. There should also be a stamp for the makers initials or symbol showing who made the necklace.

If the numerals on the necklace are quite clear, odds are the mark 588 has nothing to do with the karat and is a mark meaning something else from the manufacturer, like style as mentioned already.  I quite worn, it could be easy for a 583 to be mistaken for 588.  Only you can see that well enough to know.

Thanks for the question.  God Bless and Peace.  Thomas.  

Jewelry, Gems, & Minerals

Have a question about jewelry repair or working with precious metal jewelry and gemstones? For many years up to December 31, 2010, I was a working professional bench jeweler, involved everyday with setting stones in mountings, designing and making jewelry, repairing and limited custom manufacture. If you work with jewelry as a hobby or as a profession, I might be able to help. I deal with the retail business, not mass production. Ask privately if you wish. See the box for that: It keeps your question between us. Please DO NOT ask MAKER'S MARKS, but metal quality marks are fine to ask. Please DO NOT ask diamond prices. See a gemologist for that.

I have extensive experience in design, service and making of jewelry. I deal mostly with precious metals and gemstones but work with many materials as needed and usable to create an artistic design. My experience also includes freelance photography and photographer of jewelry and similar items for a former employer and individuals. Design of custom items requires reading the desires of the client and being clear on what can be done within that framework...then fulfilling the transition of idea to reality. Effective communications is essential in a working designer/producer and customer relationship.

Education is English/Physics! Started in human resources, to advertising, to, what a road. I have had formal training in jewelry work and many shared experiences with top grade jewelers. We just never know were we will go or be. Follow your best, your dreams, with some discretion! Don't let the work tear up your body along the way as it has mine.