Jewelry, Gems, & Minerals/Pale green stone

Question
Stone is pale green, clear, faceted on sides, flat on top. Can see stone from inside out. Ring is gold, pretty, 4 prongs holding stone.  (18KT..HGE with a diamond shape with 2 arrow like lines <> / inside the diamond logo or whatever it is.)
Is it Peridot maybe? I wish I could send you a picture...
Thank you very much for your time. Noni

Answer
Hi Noni,

More than likely the stone is synthetic spinel or glass. The clue is (18K HGE) 18 KARAT heavy gold electroplate, a natural stone is usually not used in this type of jewelry. The other marks are just manufacturing marks. The only way to know for sure is to have it tested with a gemologist but it may cost more than the ring is worth. Good luck,

Peter

Jewelry, Gems, & Minerals

Peter Lumetta