Jewelry, Gems, & Minerals/Quartz or reproduction quartz?

My "quartz" ring
My "quartz" ring  

I just bought a beautiful ring at a mom and pop shop in the heart of Gatlinburg. I had to have it resized and when asked by the jeweler on what kind of stone the ring has is a question I just couldn't answer. The gentleman I spoke with when purchasing the ring said it was a quartz but I am not sold. The surface of the ring is very ridged and rock like. Let me know what you think my ring looks like, I am in love with it either way just curious! Thanks!

Unfortunately your pictures do not show enough detail to give a more detailed assessment. The general format of the stone is somewhat unusual for a quartz. If the stone can be  removed and has a flat bottom, a jeweler could use a gem refractometer to tell if this is quartz or not. Quartz is also fairly hard and would scratch glass. You may want to carefully try this test. Of course there are many other stones that would also scratch glass, so this would not be too conclusive.

Jewelry, Gems, & Minerals

Uwe Richard Kackstaetter, Ph.D. (Dr.K)

I can answer questions concerning minerals, mineralogy, gems, metals, and anything that has to do with geology. However, I am NOT a jeweler. Questions about values, settings, gem stone cuts and appraisals are best directed to other experts on this site. I can however aide in the identification of unknown mineral materials. As a public service and part as training for new geoscientists, our university department provides FREE mineral identification for individuals. Please contact me for details or go to for details..

I am a professor of applied geology and mineralogy with many hours of field experience. Furthermore, I enjoy recreational gold prospecting and mineral collecting. As a professor I am engaged in research concerning minerals and their occurrence.

Member of the GPAA (Gold Prospectors Association of America) as well as the Association of Environmental Geochemists. Member of the GSA (Geologic Society of America) Member of the AIPG (American Institute of Professional Geologists)

Here is a small sampling: Mineral-rock handbook: Rapid-easy mineral-rock determination : written for anyone interested in minerals and rocks - Proctor, Peterson, and Kackstaetter;Macmillan Pub. Co. (New York and Toronto and New York) Physical Geology Laboratory e-Manual [CD-ROM], Kackstaetter, Earth Science Education LLC Colorado Front Range Self-guided Geology Field Trips, Kackstaetter,

Ph.D. in Applied Geology and Mineralogy. I am actively teaching courses in mineralogy and a variety of field courses with mineral collecting opportunities. Background in precious metal exploration.