Jewelry, Gems, & Minerals/type of metal

Good day! My fiancÚ gave
me an engagement ring last month.  When he bought it the color of the ring is
is yellow gold with gems. since the ring was not fit on my finger i asked him to go to
the repairahop to reduce the size. when he took it to the repairshop to reduce
it unfortunately the metal became silver due to soldering  process. i was shock
and ask my fiancÚ how it happen. do you have any idea what happened to ring?

Thank you very much,

Dear Pepper,

The explanation for color change almost certainly is that the ring was not yellow in the first place but likely plated a yellow color.  Are there any marks inside the ring telling the quality or the metal?  Possibly the ring can be returned since it was not what it appeared to be in the first place.

Best wishes and God Bless to both of you.  Thomas.  

Jewelry, Gems, & Minerals

Have a question about jewelry repair or working with precious metal jewelry and gemstones? For many years up to December 31, 2010, I was a working professional bench jeweler, involved everyday with setting stones in mountings, designing and making jewelry, repairing and limited custom manufacture. If you work with jewelry as a hobby or as a profession, I might be able to help. I deal with the retail business, not mass production. Ask privately if you wish. See the box for that: It keeps your question between us. Please DO NOT ask MAKER'S MARKS, but metal quality marks are fine to ask. Please DO NOT ask diamond prices. See a gemologist for that.

I have extensive experience in design, service and making of jewelry. I deal mostly with precious metals and gemstones but work with many materials as needed and usable to create an artistic design. My experience also includes freelance photography and photographer of jewelry and similar items for a former employer and individuals. Design of custom items requires reading the desires of the client and being clear on what can be done within that framework...then fulfilling the transition of idea to reality. Effective communications is essential in a working designer/producer and customer relationship.

Education is English/Physics! Started in human resources, to advertising, to, what a road. I have had formal training in jewelry work and many shared experiences with top grade jewelers. We just never know were we will go or be. Follow your best, your dreams, with some discretion! Don't let the work tear up your body along the way as it has mine.