Jewelry, Gems, & Minerals/Black Opal & Diamond Pendant

Question
Pendant
Pendant  

Pendant
Pendant  
Hi Rod, I was so happy to find you during an internet search. I have a custom black opal and diamond pendant in 14K yellow gold. Could you tell me approximately how much the opal is worth (retail)? It is about 10 years old. Here is a description of the opal, and I have attached photos: Solid Black Opal from Lightning Ridge, 5.8 carat, 15.6 x 11.2 x 5.8 mm. N1 Black Opal (emerald-green, turquoise, blue), Brightness: 4/7 out of 5. Oval shape, medium-high dome, not treated in any way.

The opal is really neat - when the light gets low, it actually turns violet from an angle. It is set with a 1/2 carat, VS2, Color E diamond.

Thanks for your help. ~Lisa

Answer
Hello Lisa ,
Thanks for your email, As you can appreciate its is very difficult to value stones  from a picture , I have been asked many times and I am usually reluctant to do that ,there are just too many variables. Harry Winston once famously said  "Diamond is the easiest to value and Opal is the hardest  to value".
However , you have provide a very clear good quality image .It is a beautiful stone . Its not very dark , black opal has differing base colours and  a very black coloured base is the most desirable . This stone is quite light in base colour . Im sure that the pattern is more attractive than this image ( opal is so difficult to capture in an image )
5-6  Carat is a nice commercial size. And the setting and diamond makes for one elegant piece of jewellery .Without further diagnostic views ( like holding it )  Retail ....it could be
anywhere from  $500 - 600 per carat perhaps even more. I hope that is useful for you.Its  alovely item I would treasure  something like that ... I hope it brings you the gift of prophecy ..
with best regards  Rod  

Jewelry, Gems, & Minerals

Rod Keady