Jewelry, Gems, & Minerals/Black Opal & Diamond Pendant

Hi Rod, I was so happy to find you during an internet search. I have a custom black opal and diamond pendant in 14K yellow gold. Could you tell me approximately how much the opal is worth (retail)? It is about 10 years old. Here is a description of the opal, and I have attached photos: Solid Black Opal from Lightning Ridge, 5.8 carat, 15.6 x 11.2 x 5.8 mm. N1 Black Opal (emerald-green, turquoise, blue), Brightness: 4/7 out of 5. Oval shape, medium-high dome, not treated in any way.

The opal is really neat - when the light gets low, it actually turns violet from an angle. It is set with a 1/2 carat, VS2, Color E diamond.

Thanks for your help. ~Lisa

Hello Lisa ,
Thanks for your email, As you can appreciate its is very difficult to value stones  from a picture , I have been asked many times and I am usually reluctant to do that ,there are just too many variables. Harry Winston once famously said  "Diamond is the easiest to value and Opal is the hardest  to value".
However , you have provide a very clear good quality image .It is a beautiful stone . Its not very dark , black opal has differing base colours and  a very black coloured base is the most desirable . This stone is quite light in base colour . Im sure that the pattern is more attractive than this image ( opal is so difficult to capture in an image )
5-6  Carat is a nice commercial size. And the setting and diamond makes for one elegant piece of jewellery .Without further diagnostic views ( like holding it )  Retail could be
anywhere from  $500 - 600 per carat perhaps even more. I hope that is useful for you.Its  alovely item I would treasure  something like that ... I hope it brings you the gift of prophecy ..
with best regards  Rod  

Jewelry, Gems, & Minerals

Rod Keady

all info pertaining to australian opals and opal fields is ok. online valuations is difficult but not entirely impossible. Photographs of stones should clearly show weight in carats and scale in mm. naturally photographs of opals are the hardest thing to take as a slight shift in direction displays a new colour or plane

Born into a pioneering opal family , now 48 yrs old , visited every opal field in australia, seen some of the finest stones ever produced . Sold high quality gems to japanese collectors and europeans and Americans
Have an incredible photogallery of opals ...try me !

The Directory of Australian Opal Dealers AGIOA Basel Gem Fair
Iwaki Dinosaur Fair Ibaragi Prefecture Japan
International Jewelry Tokyo .
Hong Kong Jewellery Show , Bankok Jewellery Show, Hiroshima Exhibition of Fine Gems, Tokyo International Jewellery Fair . various gem and jewellery WEBSITES

Sydney Grammar School graduate