Jewelry, Gems, & Minerals/Gold Filled bonding on a cast ring?

Question
If Gold Filled jewelry is "bonded by a mechanical means or soldered to a center layer",  How is a cast ring made and stamped "Gold Filled"?

Thank you for helping me understand something that has my logic going in circles... ;>)

Bill

Answer
Hi Bill,

Gold filled is an actual layer of gold bonded to another metal.  It is gold bonded under heat & pressure to several surfaces or layers of supporting base metal (the cast ring, which is another metal, usually brass or some other non-precious metal).  In the jewelry industry the quantity of gold must be at least 1/20th by weight of the total product for it to qualify as gold filled. Do not confuse gold filled with gold plated since with gold plated jewelry, the layer of gold is very thin and can tarnish or wear off easily (as opposed to gold filled which does not tarnish easily because the layer of gold consists of several layers.) I hope this answers your question!

Best,
Jonathon

Jewelry, Gems, & Minerals

Jonathon Ohayon