Jewelry, Gems, & Minerals/Rock with trapped water

QUESTION: I have what I suspect is a chunk of kunzite (versus amethyst) that I picked up in a local Afghani bazaar that has water rolling around inside it.

I'd like to take it to a gemologist when I get home (the rock is already home) but I'm not too confident that my small northern town has a gemologist, or an adequately qualified and  knowledgeable one.

Are there certain gemology certifications or experiences that I should verify before seeking any gemologist's opinion? Or does it matter?

Please advise.
Thank You

ANSWER: Niena,
What is your objective for a gemologist? Gemologists are great in identifying and valuating cut and uncut stones. Do you try to get this stone processed or evaluated? Then you will need to find a bonafide gemologist. I believe there are some institutions where you can mail your specimen to be evaluated.

However, if you want to know something about the identity, mineralogy or the water rolling around in your stone, then I am ready and willing to help. Just let me know :-)

QUESTION: Thank you so very much for responding and for your offer.
I'll start with you, Sir!

As far as I can tell, I'll be home Nov/Dec.
I would like to mail it to you then.
I will use the work address you listed and I'll work out the rest of the mailing address (can't be that difficult).

ANSWER: Niena,
What would you like to know about your specimen?

Cheers -Dr.K

QUESTION: Basic what-not-do-things, I suppose. I'd like to know if it's a '6' on the Wow factor scale in the world of geology (I leave it in its raw natural state), or if it's a '2' (it becomes a cool kitchen window dangly).

If it's kunzite, I'd definitely not leave out in the sun  so I don't lose the purple hue, correct?
If it's amethyst, should I go ahead and get it appraised, or cleaned up?
Is the liquid more common in kunzite than amethyst?
If it's not so common but quite special... I imagine I'll get it appraised.    
I don't know if the liquid is water - I don't know if it matters. Does it?  
It's my one and only such piece, but your statistics might say it's a dime a dozen, in which case I'll just leave it a mystery for the kids to inherit, and give you big thanks for your gracious time & attention.

Considering the weighty worldly issues at hand, it's really insignificant.  But happy and fun is valuable too. But I don't wish to waste your time, either!

Quick comments on your last post:
Kunzite pricing is around US$35 to $80 per carat, depending on color and size. Bigger stones may command a higher price.
Amethyst on the other hand runs between US$7 to $65 per carat. Again depending on color and size.
A good website to get a handle on gem values is Click on Value Charts and pick your gem. The site is mostly free but requires subscription for certain appraisals.
The liquid inside your stone would be of value for collectors. Here the prices for a specimen uncut mineral might be in your favor. The fluid inclusion could be also of scientific value. In kunzite fluid inclusions are more common.
Yes, keeping kunzite out of direct sunlight is a good idea, even though the fading process is very slow. Most faceted stones are marketed more as evening wear instead of all around every day jewelry in order to protect the color.

Jewelry, Gems, & Minerals

Uwe Richard Kackstaetter, Ph.D. (Dr.K)

I can answer questions concerning minerals, mineralogy, gems, metals, and anything that has to do with geology. However, I am NOT a jeweler. Questions about values, settings, gem stone cuts and appraisals are best directed to other experts on this site. I can however aide in the identification of unknown mineral materials. As a public service and part as training for new geoscientists, our university department provides FREE mineral identification for individuals. Please contact me for details or go to for details..

I am a professor of applied geology and mineralogy with many hours of field experience. Furthermore, I enjoy recreational gold prospecting and mineral collecting. As a professor I am engaged in research concerning minerals and their occurrence.

Member of the GPAA (Gold Prospectors Association of America) as well as the Association of Environmental Geochemists. Member of the GSA (Geologic Society of America) Member of the AIPG (American Institute of Professional Geologists)

Here is a small sampling: Mineral-rock handbook: Rapid-easy mineral-rock determination : written for anyone interested in minerals and rocks - Proctor, Peterson, and Kackstaetter;Macmillan Pub. Co. (New York and Toronto and New York) Physical Geology Laboratory e-Manual [CD-ROM], Kackstaetter, Earth Science Education LLC Colorado Front Range Self-guided Geology Field Trips, Kackstaetter,

Ph.D. in Applied Geology and Mineralogy. I am actively teaching courses in mineralogy and a variety of field courses with mineral collecting opportunities. Background in precious metal exploration.