Jewelry, Gems, & Minerals/stamp on ring

Question
I have a small ring that is stamped 14k-18k MDCO. Can you tell me anything about those stamps? The ring is yellow with hearts across the top that appear to be a silver color.

Answer
Jason, thanks for the question.

Your description of the ring gave me the clues needed to answer you.  By Federal regulations, if a piece of jewelry is made or more than one quality of precious metal, the stamping must reflect that fact.  For instance, if silver and 18k gold as in some of the designer silver jewelry with gold acents, the mark includes both silver and 18k.  In your ring, it is most likely the hearts are 18k white gold and the body of the ring is 14k yellow gold.  Accents are generally the place a different color or quality of metal is used.

There is not a requirement to mark jewelry in the first place but it would not make sense to leave off the mark and create doubt in the customer as to what is the metal. However, when the metal is stamped, law requires the maker to place their mark near the quality marek. This is like signing to the validity of the metal markings.  In this case, the marking MDCO is surely the makers mark.

Jason, there you have it. Thanks for asking. Enjoy knowing what the ring is now.
God Bless and Peace.  Thomas.

Jewelry, Gems, & Minerals

Thomas