Jewelry, Gems, & Minerals/Cleaning diamond?

Dear Thomas,
How can I clean my diamond every day affordably? Is q-tips cotton swab good enough for daily cleaning?

Dear Choo,

Generally daily cleaning only requires a gentle detergent such as a dish washing liquid. Do not use a soap because unless rinsed very well soap can leave a slight film on the surface.  A dish detergent is made to remove oils, etc., while being gentle otherwise.  That oil or grease removal leave the stone surface quite clean.   A soft cloth may be used for surfaces and a soft brush for more difficuilt to reach areas.  While the cotton swab wiii work for some recessed areas, you do not want any of the cotton being caught between the metal setting and the diamond, leaving a fine fiber behind. That is why I recommend a soft lint free cloth and a soft brush. Soaking in the degergent/water mix will be ok.  However, although is it an excellent cleaner, I redcommend using a mild household water ammonia mix only if the stone is very dirty. Do NOT use ammonia on silver metal but it is safe on gold, platinum and palladium. Choo, some thoughts make be believe your diamond is not going to get very dirty in the first place!

In NO SITUATION use a chlorine or bleach product since this is proven to damage the metals of jewelry.  Chlorine products do not hurt the stone but may be expected to damage the metal.

Again, blessing to you and family.  Thomas.  

Jewelry, Gems, & Minerals

Have a question about jewelry repair or working with precious metal jewelry and gemstones? For many years up to December 31, 2010, I was a working professional bench jeweler, involved everyday with setting stones in mountings, designing and making jewelry, repairing and limited custom manufacture. If you work with jewelry as a hobby or as a profession, I might be able to help. I deal with the retail business, not mass production. Ask privately if you wish. See the box for that: It keeps your question between us. Please DO NOT ask MAKER'S MARKS, but metal quality marks are fine to ask. Please DO NOT ask diamond prices. See a gemologist for that.

I have extensive experience in design, service and making of jewelry. I deal mostly with precious metals and gemstones but work with many materials as needed and usable to create an artistic design. My experience also includes freelance photography and photographer of jewelry and similar items for a former employer and individuals. Design of custom items requires reading the desires of the client and being clear on what can be done within that framework...then fulfilling the transition of idea to reality. Effective communications is essential in a working designer/producer and customer relationship.

Education is English/Physics! Started in human resources, to advertising, to, what a road. I have had formal training in jewelry work and many shared experiences with top grade jewelers. We just never know were we will go or be. Follow your best, your dreams, with some discretion! Don't let the work tear up your body along the way as it has mine.