Jewelry, Gems, & Minerals/Wedding ring rash


My husband bought my wedding set at Walmart last December, and we were married in April. I have worn the ring since December, up until the last month because I started to develop a rash around my finger only where the ring touches. My Dr told me it is an allergy to nickel. It has 925 1/20 PT written on it. From my understanding from a previous question posed by another lady that you answered, the PT portion means that the silver was mixed with platinum. According to what I have read there are a few hypoallergenic metals out there that I should be able to use including platinum. So my question to you is, can other medals be mixed as well as platinum in the ring my husband purchased? And is platinum plated different than when it is mixed?

Hi Shannon,

What the doctor said was accurate with the markings on your ring. Even if the silver is mixed with platinum, the nickle base can still cause allergies especially since the layer of silver is only 1/20 the weight of your ring. Nickel salts tend to come to the surface the more you use your ring and that would explain why your allergy has only come up a few months after wearing the ring.

One solution i can offer you is to coat the ring with a clear nail polish that can serve as a temporary barrier. There are also such things as Nickel Guard which is also like clear nail polish but is made to bond with metal and lasts longer.

Jewelry, Gems, & Minerals

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Jonathon Ohayon


Any diamond, jewelry or engagement ring related questions. I am a Graduate Gemologist and have extensive experience in the field of Gemology including diamonds, gemstones, and precious metals.


I have been working in the jewelry industry for over 10 years and am a Gemologist. I also appraise diamonds and jewelry for

Graduate Gemologist and Bachelors in Business Management. Apprenticed under Head Gemologist of for 2 years.

©2017 All rights reserved.