Jewelry, Gems, & Minerals/can ruby be damaged by Chlorine in swimming pool?

Dear Mr. Karnawat,

I am terrified to learn that Chlorine in the swimming pool can irreversibly damage a natural Ruby. I did not know any better and have swam in a public pool twice with my very expensive unheated Burmese Ruby. I always make 10 laps and get out to take a shower at the gym.  I looked at it carefully and it seemed to be the same. But I am so afraid that the damage has been done. Please advise me what I can expect.  I appreciate your time and efforts.

Dear Justin
Chlorine does not damage a natural unheated ruby. Natural unheated rubies have corundum & chromium primarily in their crystal structure neither of which are reactive towards chlorine to the best of my knowledge. If the ruby is unheated or even just heated, I do not think that you need not worry about damaging it due to chlorinated water.
That said, chlorine may react with the metal of your ring & erode away the prongs which can lead your ruby to fall out of the ring. Kindly have it checked at a the jeweler to test the integrity of the prongs. Only take your ring to the jeweler whom you bought it from or to a trusted jeweler to ensure that your gemstones do not get swapped by mistake or intentionally.

Congratulations on your fine ruby purchase!

Best regards
Sambhav Karnawat
The Ruby King

Jewelry, Gems, & Minerals

Sambhav Karnawat

I have interest & expertise in Platinum Jewelry & Ruby, from Ruby roughs to polished Rubies to Ruby Jewelry. Anything about Rubies, I'd love to talk!

I have graduated in Science & Technology & Our family has been in the Ruby business for over a century & I have myself been involved in platinum jewelry e-commerce since 2008. I have extensively studied Rubies & stay regularly updated with the current markets, trends, treatments & recent developments. My father has been a speaker at the International Colored Gemstone Association, & Jaipur Jeweler's Association.

Jewelove Suranas Jewelove K.K. Exports, The Ruby People All India Gem & Jewelry Trade Federation Jaipur Jewelers' Associaton Former member International Colored Gemstones Association Former member Jaipur Jeweler's Association

Gem World Diamond World Retail Jeweller

Bachelor of Technology from Indian Insitute of Technology Kanpur, India. Certified Diamond Grader, Diamond Training Institute, Jaipur

Awarded by Smt. Pratibha Devi Patil ,the President of India for Academic Excellence Rated as one of the fastest growing jewelry business presence on facebook.