Jewelry, Gems, & Minerals/Italian twisted rope chain

I have a twisted style rope chain 24" long that has a flat oval link next to the clasp.  Stamped on one side is Italy and the other side is stamped with 1/2 sun or 1/2 circle with spokes(filling in the 1/2 of the oval) and a straight line and then below 14K.  I have tested and I'm sure it's gold but it does seem older and darker than current styles.  I purchased this probably 20 years ago at a second hand jeweler store.  I was thinking about selling it but I'm not sure how vintage it may be and if that would affect the price.  I know you don't do maker's marks but anything you could tell me or direction you could point me would help.  Thanks

Dear Theresa,

I honestly cannot tell a lot without the chain to work with.  I have three primary suggestions to begin, the first means looking for a seller of estate jewelry.  These companies are often expert in dating jewelry items.  They are buyers of estate and vintage jewelry because that is where they get their products to sell. One such company is at this link:   Lang is the company name.  I am not absolutely certain, but I think in years past I have worked with them and they were quite knowledgeable and forthright.  Their site on the left column of home page has links to all sorts of information.  They may have instructions for contacting them concerning an item such as your rope chain.

The second suggestion is look for estate jewelry sellers in your area and go to them personally, chain in hand.

The third idea is net based and means searching items for sale on eBay, Ruby Lane and other Internet sellers of vintage jewelry.  The searching has one goal: To find a quite similar item to help in your assessment of the age of your chain. This is the least accurate method but on occasion, I have found the very item by the same maker(same maker stamps).  Try the first two suggestions first jump into a net search when you have time to dwell there.

Theresa, best wishes in this quest.  In the least, we have avoided an impossible rabbit trail of twist and turns leading nowhere.  This might not find the answer but is based on a sensible start.

I am not certain right off if older Italian markings reflect year of manufacture.  A few websites do show the regulatory stamps for precious metal jewelry of various countries. This is another bit of detective work to consider.

Again, I hope you find what you want and sooner rather than later!  God Bless and Peace. Thomas.

Jewelry, Gems, & Minerals

Have a question about jewelry repair or working with precious metal jewelry and gemstones? For many years up to December 31, 2010, I was a working professional bench jeweler, involved everyday with setting stones in mountings, designing and making jewelry, repairing and limited custom manufacture. If you work with jewelry as a hobby or as a profession, I might be able to help. I deal with the retail business, not mass production. Ask privately if you wish. See the box for that: It keeps your question between us. Please DO NOT ask MAKER'S MARKS, but metal quality marks are fine to ask. Please DO NOT ask diamond prices. See a gemologist for that.

I have extensive experience in design, service and making of jewelry. I deal mostly with precious metals and gemstones but work with many materials as needed and usable to create an artistic design. My experience also includes freelance photography and photographer of jewelry and similar items for a former employer and individuals. Design of custom items requires reading the desires of the client and being clear on what can be done within that framework...then fulfilling the transition of idea to reality. Effective communications is essential in a working designer/producer and customer relationship.

Education is English/Physics! Started in human resources, to advertising, to, what a road. I have had formal training in jewelry work and many shared experiences with top grade jewelers. We just never know were we will go or be. Follow your best, your dreams, with some discretion! Don't let the work tear up your body along the way as it has mine.