Jewelry, Gems, & Minerals/Ring marking regarding metal content

Rendition of ring stamp mark
Rendition of ring stam  
Hello Thomas  I hesitate asking you my question because the ring marking I have is probably just a makers mark, but after doing some reading on the subject I question whether part of my mark might be a metal content mark. I was given a previously owned Gold Claddagh ring as a gift ( supposedly came from an estate sale ) it was sold as a 14kt gold Claddagh ring made by "Solvar"  well I know this is not a "Solvar" ring as their mark is nowhere on it but what really baffled me is gold content is not even listed anywhere on the ring either, now the person ( my wife ) was paranoid about this before giving it to me, so she took the ring to a local reputable jeweler( she bought it from an online jeweler) and had it tested/checked and they say yes it is 14kt gold. But I am still curious as to the lack of any marking on the ring until I examined what I first thought was a deep tiny dent was in fact a stamped mark, it is so small I cannot photograph it but using 10x magnification I reproduced the design which I will attach, it does appear to have the Irish harp with a symbol above it that looks like an "S" in it but the symbol itself I wonder if it is suppose to represent a crown, if so, everything I read about any Irish markings of a harp with a crown above it represents 18kt gold I have included the size of the stamp mark as well and as you see it is very tiny, have you seen anything like this before and do you think the symbol above the harp is a crown or just a fancy outline to contain the sideways "S"

Dear Daniel,

Please follow the link to the Dublin Assay Office:

Go to the site and compare your marks with those provide by the Assay Office.  As for the "s" symbol, I do not see enough crown-like content to believe it represents a crown.  Most likely, if the jeweler tested accurately and the result was 14k, the ring is 14k and for some reason does not have the supporting hallmarks.  Letters are used for indication of date of the item but not in the form your "s" appears.

The opening page of the website has a small index of content on the left if you are interested in further study.  

Your easily understood rendering of the marks is very much appreciated.

God Bless and Peace.  Thomas.

Jewelry, Gems, & Minerals

Have a question about jewelry repair or working with precious metal jewelry and gemstones? For many years up to December 31, 2010, I was a working professional bench jeweler, involved everyday with setting stones in mountings, designing and making jewelry, repairing and limited custom manufacture. If you work with jewelry as a hobby or as a profession, I might be able to help. I deal with the retail business, not mass production. Ask privately if you wish. See the box for that: It keeps your question between us. Please DO NOT ask MAKER'S MARKS, but metal quality marks are fine to ask. Please DO NOT ask diamond prices. See a gemologist for that.

I have extensive experience in design, service and making of jewelry. I deal mostly with precious metals and gemstones but work with many materials as needed and usable to create an artistic design. My experience also includes freelance photography and photographer of jewelry and similar items for a former employer and individuals. Design of custom items requires reading the desires of the client and being clear on what can be done within that framework...then fulfilling the transition of idea to reality. Effective communications is essential in a working designer/producer and customer relationship.

Education is English/Physics! Started in human resources, to advertising, to, what a road. I have had formal training in jewelry work and many shared experiences with top grade jewelers. We just never know were we will go or be. Follow your best, your dreams, with some discretion! Don't let the work tear up your body along the way as it has mine.