Jewelry, Gems, & Minerals/White Gold

Hi, I am currently shopping for my wedding band & have been looking at 9ct white gold bands for awhile now. Today we were told for the first time that (because my engagement ring is 18ct white gold) I should be buying an 18ct white gold band as the rings would react together?? Is this correct? We have searched all over the net for answers and can't find any information on this! Thanks in advance

Dear Emma,

Did they also tell you HOW the two different carats of gold would react?  The 9ct band is somewhat harder than the 18ct in general and the engagement ring might show wear more quickly.  That is the only true problem.  An 18k band would more closely balance things out, in durability, wear against the other ring and in color of the metal after a period of time being worn.  However, there is no "reaction" as such.  Like coins in  pocket, some wear more readily against the others but there is not anything to call a reaction.

If you get the 9ct band, over time check the engagement for any excessive wear.  Should that happen, then go for a higher carat (and more compatible hardness) in the band.

God Bless ans Peace.  Thomas.

Jewelry, Gems, & Minerals

Have a question about jewelry repair or working with precious metal jewelry and gemstones? For many years up to December 31, 2010, I was a working professional bench jeweler, involved everyday with setting stones in mountings, designing and making jewelry, repairing and limited custom manufacture. If you work with jewelry as a hobby or as a profession, I might be able to help. I deal with the retail business, not mass production. Ask privately if you wish. See the box for that: It keeps your question between us. Please DO NOT ask MAKER'S MARKS, but metal quality marks are fine to ask. Please DO NOT ask diamond prices. See a gemologist for that.

I have extensive experience in design, service and making of jewelry. I deal mostly with precious metals and gemstones but work with many materials as needed and usable to create an artistic design. My experience also includes freelance photography and photographer of jewelry and similar items for a former employer and individuals. Design of custom items requires reading the desires of the client and being clear on what can be done within that framework...then fulfilling the transition of idea to reality. Effective communications is essential in a working designer/producer and customer relationship.

Education is English/Physics! Started in human resources, to advertising, to, what a road. I have had formal training in jewelry work and many shared experiences with top grade jewelers. We just never know were we will go or be. Follow your best, your dreams, with some discretion! Don't let the work tear up your body along the way as it has mine.